The City of West Hollywood not only has some of the strictest rent control laws in Los Angeles but they also have inclusionary housing programs. As a property manager it is very important to us that we make sure our clients know what they are getting into when they decided to develop property in West Hollywood. Here are some tips before you start your next project.
Requirements for Residential Projects:
- There are three income levels (very low, low, moderate). Very low = 1 person $32,095/ Low = 1 person $32,096-$51,351/ Moderate = 1 person $51,352-$64,189
- Residential projects of 2 to 10 units must provide one affordable housing unit of comparable or small “alternate size”. (low-moderate income)
- “Alternate” small size means one bedroom with minimum 650 square feet that is the “builder’s quality” standard or better.
- Residential projects of 11 to 20 units must have 20% of all units available for affordable housing. They can be comparable units or alternate units. (low-moderate income)
- Residential projects of 21 to 40 units must have 20% of all units available for affordable housing that are comparable to market-rate units, or 30% of all units as alternate units. (low-moderate income)
- Residential projects with 41 units and up must have 20% of all units available for affordable housing that are comparable to market-rate units or 20% of total floor area if they are alternate units. (low-moderate income)
**All residential projects have to follow the City Green Building Ordinance provisions that impact the number of units that may be developed under certain circumstances**
In order for someone to participate in the affordable housing units they must not have an income that exceeds the income category established by the City Council. If the household does exceed 150% of the maximum income for two consecutive years, the lease may be terminated and the unit vacated.
When a unit becomes available the City staff will refer the management party five eligible applicants for tenant selection. After the management has received the applicants they can perform normal application procedures to choose which applicant is most qualified.
Please call Belwood Properties with any questions or advice regarding West Hollywood.